It's supposed to be about poverty, but I want to address a related, but what I consider to be, bigger, issue of human trafficking. I just saw Call & Response today. Please check out the trailer, if you can't go see the movie. As a nursing mom, I'm glad I made the HUGE effort (keeping her up so that she will be tired enough to have a longer nap while E watches her, coordinating with E to time G's feeding to the last 30 minutes before the movie started and having him meet me near the movie theater to pick her up and swap cars/keys) to go see this movie. I'm proud to say that this was the first movie I went out to see in the theaters since G was born. E will be going with some friends tomorrow to see it. When I got home, E asked me if it changed my life, and I said to him, "I hope so."
I want to respond. I'm still processing how, but blogging this to you is a first step. While I watched the movie, I thought about G, not only about the world I want to leave for her (I want a world that has ended human slavery, not a world where there are more human slaves than ever in our history), but about how some of these children could be her friends if we lived in a different part of the world or society. It puts into perspective things like the presidential election, the economy and our finances, even being green.
I buy local and organic, but am just getting into buying "fair trade" (to ensure that the people who helped bring those products to me were given fair wages and treated fairly). We sponsor a child (we're on our second) through World Vision. But there is so much more that needs to be done.
We are supporting some friends who will be going on a trip to Thailand to help victims of human trafficking. We can't wait to hear their stories and see not only how they have changed lives but how their lives have been changed. I hope we can partner with more efforts like these, both locally and globally, and as a supporter and doer.
A quote (as well as I can remember) from the movie, "I don't want my clothes to be someone else's despair, or my food to be someone else's tragedy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment