Friday, April 25, 2008

Observations...

G had her 2 month old well baby visit today. What a misnomer. They should call it the 2 month vaccine visit. That's really what each visit is for, to give shots. E & I debated beforehand which shots, if any, to let G have. Well, more like I did research for the last few weeks, and we finally got around to discussing it last night. So, we decided last night that the only one we really felt like she would be more at risk for was the pertussis one, aka whooping cough. It's much more prevelant than polio, tetanus, diptheria, etc. We didn't want to continue her Hep B shots (after all, she's not going to be involved in IV drug use or promiscuous sex anytime soon). We also didn't think much for the pneumo-whatever Prevnar shot for ear infections. The dr was only mildly helpful, she was fine leaving the decision up to us, but only really said that she's seen all but polio in her experience and that they were all fatal b/c the kids didn't have the vaccine. I suppose in some way that is a scare tactic to say that, even if it's true. So then we decided to give her the combo shot that has the pertussis and the oral rotovirus (newer and I didn't even come across it in my research, but it has to do w/ diarrhea and supposedly it is extremely common in kids). Then I started to doubt myself, am I putting G at risk by not vaccinating her for the other things? Yes, they are rare, but WHAT IF?! What if we were that one in whatever? The bottom line was that I didn't want G to die from something that I could have prevented. So, in the end, I feel like I caved in, we let her have all of the vaccines. At least I feel better that it wasn't so traumatic for her, I let her suck on my finger after she finished her oral dose and she was fine, but once the first needle went in, she was one very unhappy camper. However, once everything was said and done, she stopped crying quickly and continued sucking on my finger. By the time we were getting her dressed again, she seemed no worse for the wear.

What else happened at her doctor's visit? Her current stats: 25% for pretty much everything, measuring a petite 9 lbs, 4 oz and 21.5 inches. I think E was a little disappointed she didn't make the double digits mark, but if she had held in her pee (there was a lot of it in the diaper we took off her before her weigh in) and hadn't spit up while we were getting her dressed this morning, she just might have hit the 10 lb mark. Oh well, next time for sure.

Observations from smaller eyes, the other day we were at a friend's house and their 3-year-old daughter (who loves all things baby) was fascinated by G, watching her sleep and then later watching her nurse. It was a little strange at first, having someone else so intently watching us, and from all angles walking to one side, then over to the other (on another occasion, this same girl carefully watched E rocking G to sleep and copied him with a balled up blanket in her arms, swaying her hips in exactly the same way). I told her to watch G's eyes, that they will be open while she is drinking, then when she starts to get full, they will close. She watched closely. Then she asked me, where's her cup? Her cup? Um, she doesn't have a cup. Where is she drinking from? Uh..., when babies are small they don't drink from a cup. Do you know where they drink from? No. Hmm..., go ask your mommy. Sigh, pretty soon, I won't be able to divert those questions so easily because I will be the mommy! I suppose I could always say go ask Daddy, but I might be more afraid of how E would answer! Later, the little girl brought out 2 of her baby dolls and proceeded to lay them to sleep and feed them (I almost caught her lifting her shirt up with one baby, I wonder if she was going to try to feed the baby the same way I was!).

No comments: