Monday, September 15, 2008

Christmas in September

Yesterday, G finished ALL her rice cereal, it was about 1 ounce, and I was so happy. It took about 30 minutes (maybe we weren't patient enough before to have her finish), a little bit of fussing, changing scenery/positions 2 times, but at least she finished. I'll add the pic of her finishing and sitting in her high chair later (I'm on a time crunch before she wakes up from her nap).

I think Sunday evenings will be my baby food mashing night. Last night, I made a sweet potato and was surprised that I could fill both of my trays with all of it (one spoonful in each container, 8 containers per tray). It was easy to make once I looked up a recipe and decided on a cooking method (I wanted to bake it but we ran out of foil so I peeled and diced it and boil/steamed it, only took a few minutes to fork tenderness), then blended with a hand blender. We decided not to invest in a big blender at this time, for lack of funds, so I can only make things that I can blend with the hand blender (that means once my rice cereal powder/flour runs out, I have to buy the pre-made stuff, sigh).

So why is it Christmas in September? Yesterday at church, we got a high chair hand-me-down from a friend, so now G has a place to sit when we feed her instead of one of us having to hold her. We also got 2 bags of mostly 6-9 month clothing from another friend. Her third baby is just old enough that she outgrows the clothes that G is just starting to grow into, so it works out perfectly for us. So now the couch is covered in clothes in different piles, sorted, but not yet washed. G is now pretty much set in the clothing department all the way up to 3 years. I've organized her clothes into shallow plastic bins and most of them are full already! It's great because it takes off the pressure of having to buy a lot of clothes to outfit her, but we still have the flexibility to buy the occasional cute item (on sale, of course!).

And lastly, G finally got her first Janie & Jack outfit. This boutique store is one of those stores where you buy gifts for other people's kids but not for your own because it's so expensive. Their clothes are really cute. The other day, I went into one store and almost bought G an outfit for next year that was on sale, but even on sale, I just couldn't justify it. This outfit is so cute, perfect for the fall, and I can't wait to get G into it! Anyways, a friend from church gave G this present as a "thank you" because we gave her my old 3/4 size violin (she just outgrew her 1/2 size one).

No comments: