Sunday, November 16, 2008

G takes flight

Our travels yesterday went fairly smooth, mostly. Check in was a breeze, did it curbside so we didn't have to lug our two suitcases and snowboard bag. Security quick and easy, except for the part where I forgot to take off my belt, so G and I beeped as we went through the detector, then, in my flustered state, thought I had to take G out of her carrier and have us go through separately, so I held her out at arms length through the detector. The guards just smiled and said it was probably a belt or something and the baby was fine. Duh. After getting through and putting all our stuff back together (stroller held the car seat, our jackets, and the diaper bag, rolly bag contained the computer, cameras, and misc. other stuff), we still had time to get a bite to eat and for G to take a quick nap.

The flight was practically empty, so we actually had two rows between the three of us. E had one row with the car seat, G and I had another row. During the flight, E was able to walk around with G and take her to different rows to show her the wings and other things out the window. She also took another short nap, I ended up waking her up because we were descending and I was concerned about her ears not popping.

The traveling nightmare was actually renting the car. After we got our luggage, we had a lot of trouble figuring out where and how to find our car rental place. It took us 2 hours to rent our car (took airport shuttle to another part of the airport, waited in line because there was only one employee, went back and forth about what sized car we needed to fit our stuff, ugh). I had mapped out a Whole Foods to pick up groceries and dinner on our way to our lodging, but we got there an hour before closing, barely enough time for me to nurse G, for E to eat half a sandwich and feed G her baby food we had packed, and me to run around the store trying to find everything we needed for the week and buy something to eat in the car.

By the time we got to our condo, it was about 11 at night. If the car rental had gone smoother and we hadn't gotten lost getting out of the airport, we could have saved about 2 hrs.

We spent today relaxing. G took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon, so by the time we got out to explore, it was already dark. So far, we are all adjusting to the altitude change. G hates the process of getting all bundled up for the outside, but is fine once we get going, and even fell asleep on the way home after dinner.

No comments: