So, S and I bought a house in the south bay, so our adventures in SF will be drawing to a close. Reflecting on this period, I don't think I've ever seen so many blonde people before in my life. Actually it's the fact that there are almost no Asians/blacks/Latinos/minorities, and everyone else is white. That was until a friend corrected me: "No, everyone there is blonde." And then I looked around and realized that he was right.
Among the places we like are the small, intimate restaurant-bars with tons of atmosphere. We went to Brazen Head tonight - you could drive by Greenwich a thousand times and not notice it -- a total hidden gem with awesome pepper steak, seafood chowder, french onion soup. I realized it was good when I dipped into the cheesy top of the french onion soup, went deeper, and it got better and better. You know food where the first bite is the best? Doesn't leave you wanting more does it? I believe the best food experiences get better and better, bite after bite, from the time the dish or dessert first arrives, leaving you with a sweet aftertaste that leaves you smiling. Nothing less will do. I was happy to find the steak the same way.
Another happy find recently is the Elite Cafe - it's a Southern brunch place on Fillmore (ok not quite our district, but we've been exploring), with biscuits with strawberry butter to die for, beignets, and more intimate high-back booths with slow fans in the ceiling.
We've been quite lucky to live in this beautiful area for 8 months, watching the Golden Gate bridge in all of its glory through the seasons, being able to walk to the marina, and more, and we'll be treasuring the experience for a long time.
- "Mr. Calamari"
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment